There are few managers with a more intimate knowledge of their market than Nick Martin, the manager of Polar Capital Global Insurance. His many years of experience working in the risk and casualty insurance markets are fundamental to the success of this fund, which provides access to this specialist and often undervalued sector.
Read more about Polar Capital Global Insurance
What’s covered in this podcast:
- Why insurance is usually thought of as a safe-haven investment [0:29]
- Why the sector wasn’t a safe haven during the pandemic [1:26]
- Why the underwriting market is so strong today [2:55]
- The role the insurance industry has in tackling climate change [5:54]
- Why insurance could become unaffordable in some places and government may need to partner with the private sector [7:57]
- How nature-based solutions like coral reefs and mangroves are helping insurers [9:33]
- Why inflation isn’t a problem for annual premiums but could be for pharmaceutical liabilities [11:48]
- The outlook for the insurance sector [14:03]
This article is provided for information only. The views of the author and any people quoted are their own and do not constitute financial advice. The content is not intended to be a personal recommendation to buy or sell any fund or trust, or to adopt a particular investment strategy. However, the knowledge that professional analysts have analysed a fund or trust in depth before assigning them a rating can be a valuable additional filter for anyone looking to make their own decisions. Past performance is not a reliable guide to future returns. Market and exchange-rate movements may cause the value of investments to go down as well as up. Yields will fluctuate and so income from investments is variable and not guaranteed. You may not get back the amount originally invested. Tax treatment depends of your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future. If you are unsure about the suitability of any investment you should seek professional advice. Whilst FundCalibre provides product information, guidance and fund research we cannot know which of these products or funds, if any, are suitable for your particular circumstances and must leave that judgement to you. Before you make any investment decision, make sure you’re comfortable and fully understand the risks. Further information can be found on Elite Rated funds by simply clicking on the name highlighted in the article.