The managers of Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust aren’t necessarily looking for new inventions or technological breakthroughs. They are looking for companies that can apply scale and capital to these innovations. They will then look to own those companies for the long-term, as they disrupt industries and drive change. The final portfolio consists of around 50-100 stocks.
Read more about Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust
What’s covered in this episode:
- How the team go about finding radical thinkers who are changing the world [0:16]
- From 3D printing to space rocket and putting the first factory on Mars [3:02]
- Why the team were among the early backers for Elon Musk’s vision for Tesla [4:14]
- How improvements in data storage and technology are creating big opportunities in the healthcare sector [6:10]
- Why Covid is just the start for Moderna and the potential for more effective vaccines for flu, HPV and HIV [8:44]
- Why the future of growth investing is driven by the pace of change, rather than interest rates and inflation [10:52]
This article is provided for information only. The views of the author and any people quoted are their own and do not constitute financial advice. The content is not intended to be a personal recommendation to buy or sell any fund or trust, or to adopt a particular investment strategy. However, the knowledge that professional analysts have analysed a fund or trust in depth before assigning them a rating can be a valuable additional filter for anyone looking to make their own decisions. Past performance is not a reliable guide to future returns. Market and exchange-rate movements may cause the value of investments to go down as well as up. Yields will fluctuate and so income from investments is variable and not guaranteed. You may not get back the amount originally invested. Tax treatment depends of your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future. If you are unsure about the suitability of any investment you should seek professional advice. Whilst FundCalibre provides product information, guidance and fund research we cannot know which of these products or funds, if any, are suitable for your particular circumstances and must leave that judgement to you. Before you make any investment decision, make sure you’re comfortable and fully understand the risks. Further information can be found on Elite Rated funds by simply clicking on the name highlighted in the article.